Clinical Practice Evaluation
The NDAEB developed a Clinical Practice Evaluation (CPE) for use by Canadian Dental Assisting Regulatory Authorities (CDARA) in the licensing/registration of dental assistants. See the CPE Handbook on this site for general information.
Photographs of instrument and supply tray setups are available on this site. Please note: the photos represent generic setups. All evaluation sites may not provide exact instrument and supply items as shown in the photos. Some items may be substituted for similar instruments or materials.
Some CDARA require graduates of Canadian non-accredited and out-of-country educational programs to successfully complete a two-part NDAEB certificate to include the written examination followed by the CPE. To confirm the requirement for the CPE in your province, please refer to the Registration & Licensure section of this website for DARA contact information.
The NDAEB administers the Clinical Practice Evaluation at sites across Canada four times annually. For CPE sessions and application deadline dates, please see the calendar on this site. The fee for the full CPE session (9 skills) is $1200.00 (CAN only) made payable to the NDAEB. This includes a non-refundable $100.00 (CAN only) application fee [$1100 + $100]. The fee for re-taking individual skills is $200.00 (CAN only) per skill plus a non-refundable $50.00 (CAN only) application fee. Candidates registering for 6 or more skills are required to pay the full fee of $1200.00 (CAN).
The Clinical Practice Evaluation includes the following nine (9) skills:
- Skill 1: Exposes dental radiographs
- Skill 2: Obtains preliminary impressions for study casts
- Skill 3: Applies and removes dental dam
- Skill 4: Selective coronal polishing (Rubber Cup)
- Skill 5: Applies treatment liner (No Pulpal Involvement)
- Skill 6: Applies and removes matrix and wedge
- Skill 7: Applies Anti-Cariogenic Agent (Tray Method)
- Skill 8: Applies pit and fissure sealant (Cotton Roll Isolation)
- Skill 9: Applies topical anesthetic
New 2018 Exposes Digital Radiography
This is an important notice to all candidates who may participate in the NDAEB’s Clinical Practice Evaluation (CPE).
The NDAEB will launch Digital Radiography as of January 1st, 2018. From this date forward, candidates for the Clinical Practice Evaluation will not expose film, and “Skill 1 - Exposes Dental Radiographs” will change to: “Exposes Digital Radiographic Images”. This will be in effect for the first time at the 2018 February/March CPE session.
Please see below the information which will be available in the CPE 2018 Candidate Handbook:
Exposes Digital Radiographic Images
- Radiographic images will be exposed on a Dexter using the paralleling technique for periapical images and the paralleling or bisecting technique (bitewing tab) for the bitewing, with phosphor storage plates (PSPs).
- Information specific to opening and closing the Dexter and activating the exposure button will be provided. Candidates will NOT be given instruction or a demonstration on how to assemble the RINN XCP equipment for image exposure.
- Candidates must assemble their own RINN XCP paralleling equipment and place the PSPs into the bite block for the periapical and bitewing images. If the candidate chooses the bisecting technique for the bitewing, they must place their own bitewing tab on the plate.
- Three (3) size 2 PSPs and one (1) size 1 PSP will be provided. Two additional PSPs will be provided for retake exposures.
- Exposed images will be scanned by the NDAEB personnel in the presence of the candidate. There is no requirement for candidates to have any knowledge of scanning equipment or dental software.
- The clock is stopped during the time required to for NDAEB personnel to scan and mount the candidate’s images.
- Images will be mounted on the computer monitor by NDAEB personnel the way they were exposed.
- All images will be numbered using the International numbering system.
Candidates who have participated in the CPE in 2017, who have not yet been successful in Skill 1, have been notified in writing after each attempt that the digital requirement will take effect in January 1, 2018. If candidates choose to voluntarily attend a continuing education program in lieu of the CPE, it is acceptable to the NDAEB for the course to be offered in an analog (film) format.
Schedule of Fees
Below are the fees charged for the NDAEB Clinical Practice Evaluation.
Candidates who withdraw from a scheduled Clinical Practice Evaluation (CPE) session without valid reasons will be assessed a withdrawal fee as stated in the table below. See the CPE Handbook on this site for more information.
|Application Fee (Full CPE or 6-8 skills)
||Fee is non-refundable
|Application fee (1-5 skills)
||Fee is non-refundable
||Appeal fee is refundable if the appeal is granted.
|Number of Skills
(45 days or more)
(less than 24 hours)
|6-9 Skills or full CPE